Login

Best Way to Save Money - Pay Less Tax

Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

Posted by Craig Burrows

on Wednesday, 03 October 2018 11:59

Canadian cash

I’m quite concerned about government tax policies that promote the idea that 1% of the population should be able to subsidize the remaining 99%. No wonder governments have seen dramatic drops in revenue from personal income, their strategy hurts the small business owner and the overall economy. As I have said in the past, the 1% notion is absurd. There are approximately 270,000 Canadians who would qualify for that category (StatsCan "High-income trends among Canadian tax filers, 2015"). Imagine the city of Saskatoon subsidizing the rest of the country. The math and the premise simply don’t add up.

“What do we get for our PM’s Robin Hood philosophy? You get government that wants to tax you more, make it difficult to run a business and create policies that choke our economy. What the Libs and the Dippers fail to understand is that poor economic policies do not help poor people.”

So who are the 1% when it comes to income?

They are the people who earn more than $250,000 per year. It sounds like a lot but when most of these people are professionals or small business owners, they usually don’t qualify for EI, have no gold-plated pensions and work a lifetime to hopefully sell their business to use as their pension when they retire. If the government takes $125,000 for income tax, the $125,000 left over isn’t much to live on and create a nest egg to retire based on the risk. To add insult to injury, your spouse can no longer draw a dividend from the business as it is more punitive than taking income by using a T4. Another negative consequence is if you have been using dividends for your family and now begin to use T4 for income, they will receive less payment in retirement from CPP due to their lack of T4 income because you legally paid dividends throughout that time.

Unfortunately, they don’t stop at the 1%, they are now after the 5% which are people who earn more than $150,000 per year in income. This group gets taxed at 40% or more in most provinces. What do we get for our PM’s Robin Hood philosophy? You get government that wants to tax you more, make it difficult to run a business and create policies that choke our economy. What they fail to understand is that poor economic policies do not help poor people.

How can you mitigate the Robin Hood philosophy?

At TriView Capital Ltd., we believe people must pay their fair share of tax and we feel that we can help the Top 5% or any taxpayer that feels they pay too much. Over the next 8 months, we will show you valuable ways to save money through some interesting tax strategies that you may not be aware of. Here are three strategies that we will discuss between now and the end of the year:
1. Maximizing your registered funds
2. Investing in opportunities that provide capital gains or return of capital rather than highly taxed interest payment investments
3. Investing in opportunities that provide access to provincial and federal tax credits

If you live in Alberta or BC, the government has created tax incentive plans to help create diversified economies by allowing residents to invest in their own economy. We will be holding city road shows in mid-November in Victoria, Vancouver and Calgary and we will make sure that MoneyTalk listeners and subscribers will have the chance to learn more about these tax effective strategies. If you are a small business owner or someone in the Top 5% of income earners ($150,000 or more), you’ll want to attend these events and make sure you bring your accountant!

Best regards,

Craig Burrows

President & CEO, Tri View Capital Ltd.

www.triviewcapital.com

 




Free Subscription Service - sign up today!

Exclusive content sent directly to your Inbox

  • What Mike's Reading

    His top research pick

  • Numbers You Should Know

    Weekly astonishing statistics

  • Quote of the Week

    Wisdom from the World

  • Top 5 Articles

    Most Popular postings

Learn more...



Our Premium Service:
The Inside Edge on Making Money

Latest Update

The end of the longest bull market?

It’s increasingly looking like we’re now at or near the end of one of the longest running and most important bull markets in history. ...

- posted by Eric Coffin

Michael Campbell
Tyler Bollhorn Eric Coffin Patrick Ceresna
Josef Mark Leibovit Greg Weldon Ryan Irvine